Covid-19 Resilience Plan
What measures have we put in place at Kingsurf ?
The government has confirmed that groups of up to 6 can meet outside from Monday 1st June 2020, provided people from different households observe social distancing by keeping two metres apart.
“Coaches can now work with groups of up to 5, as long as they are able to maintain the highest standards of water safety whilst meeting the government’s guidance on social distancing and hygiene.”Surfing England
To adhere to the new Government guidelines, we have had to change our normal operating procedures right from the booking process, the customer journey and even how we clean down our kit and surf school. We have put in new measures to make sure that any physical contact between staff and customers is eliminated and the 2-metre social distancing rule can be adhered to.
We are lucky enough to have a very experienced and mature team of trusted coaches: some with over 20 years experience under their belt.
In addition, 80% of the team have HND’s and degrees in Outdoor Education, Leisure & Tourism.
After seeking advice from our national governing body and reading through the new and ever-changing Government guidelines, we had a meeting regarding what we could do to ensure our customers and ourselves have the safest experience during these strange and unprecedented times.
- Booking: All bookings must be made online, via phone call or on WhatsApp.
- Enrolment forms: We have added new questions on our enrolment forms which include physical fitness queries and questions on whether you have experienced any COVID-19 symptoms within 2 weeks prior to your arrival.
- Hand washing facilities: Appropriate facilities will be available on arrival and departure of the surf school.
- Signs: These will be located around the surf school to remind everyone of the new government guidelines and Kingsurf’s new way of operating.
- Smaller groups: Currently the Government guidelines state that our maximum mixed group ratio will be 1:5.
- Arriving at the surf school: There will be a one-way system in and out of the surf school, so you can check-in and grab your kit safely, whilst keeping 2 meters away from anyone.
- Staggered customer arrival: Customers will be asked to arrive at different times throughout the day. This will ensure that the School is kept as clear and clean as possible, and prevent people from breaking the 2-metre social distance rule. We intend for there to be no more than five people arriving at the surf school at one time.
- Changing: At this present moment we have been told that there cannot be any indoor changing. We will be encouraging you to get changed on the beach or under our outdoor surf school gazebo. Arriving with your swimwear on underneath will make it very quick and simple to slip your wetsuit on in minutes.
- Social distanced lesson: It is rare that we will need to get closer to you than 2-metres during a surf lesson and we have carried out a few mock lessons to get used to not being as hands on as we once were. Pushing customers into waves and pulling them out beyond waves will be put on hold until the restrictions are lifted, using fault correcting feedback instead of physical help to progress. With this in mind, we will be risk assessing ability and conditions on the day. I’m sure this will all change soon and we can go back to grabbing boards again, in order to help people avoid a nose dive or help children paddle around quicker.
- Increased wetsuit wash: All of our wetsuits are now being soaked in either diluted Zoflora or Milton Sterilising Fluid to ensure they are thoroughly cleaned. These have both been medically proven to kill COVID-19.
- All equipment sterilised: All equipment will be properly cleaned and sterilised with Ecoworks products before they can be used again.
- Rotate equipment use: We have enough equipment at the surf school that we are able to stagger how often it is used. This ensures that there is sufficient time between customers using the same piece of equipment – allowing them to be fully cleaned and fresh for use.
Being active and getting those endorphins running around your body is so good for your physical and mental health. Why not book your surfing experience with us now and get out there!
We are more than happy that our surf lessons are adhering to the government guidelines and that we can offer a safe and fun environment for all! We are so lucky that the whole experience involves being outdoors in the fresh air and sea breeze!
P.s We don’t want to be encouraging any long-distance travel at the moment: staying overnight anywhere but your own home is still off the cards.